Monday, November 5, 2012

Sandy Project

Over the long, hurricane weekend I built my first piece of furniture via my new book and I am now hooked. Let me rewind, for a long while I had decided that our entryway needed more organization so when I came across plans for entry storage with cubbies I was sold.

So, I took my handy book to Home Depot picked out the wood that I needed (I decided on pine) and had the Home Depot guy make 95% of my cuts for me. The only cut I had to do myself (note:Ryan did this cut) was the decorative cut at the bottom of the piece.

Once all my cuts were done, we set out to distress the wood (although later I would find that me + hammer+ nails= distressing enough).

We found the best way was to hammer chains in to the pieces of wood.
 We used some stain that we had laying around the house to give it a coat before assembling.

A couple of days of drying later, we were ready to put it together with some nails and wood glue. 

Apparently I am terrible at nailing straight so there were quite a few incidents where the nails came through the wood and had to be pushed out and nailed back in... like I said, distressed. BUT in the end, it came together quite nicely.

Starting to come together. Note the wood on the bottom is actually our joists from the kitchen.
Once it was all put together, I found some baskets at Home Goods that fit in to the cubbies (Ryan immediately claimed two).

Pre hooks

Fast forward to our hooks arriving and putting the whole piece up on the wall and here is the finished project:

So much more functional. It is so nice to be able to keep our hats/gloves/scarves in the cubbies. On another note, I really want a nail gun :)

I finished my second (much easier) project from the book last night so once I put it up, I'll share pictures. Meanwhile, Ryan has been working on his plumbing skills and we now have our radiator installed in the kitchen #warmthwin.

No comments: